Ford Government Building New School in BinbrookPublished on July 23, 2020
Province Approves Construction of New Elementary School in Binbrook to Strengthen Student Learning
The Ontario government recently announced it is investing over $500 million to build 30 new schools and make upgrades to 15 existing facilities.
The province has given the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board approval for a new Unnamed Elementary School – Binbrook #2. The investment will provide a new, quality learning environment for the students of Binbrook. This project is part of the province’s capital investment program to support students with better learning spaces.
“The funding for this new school is great news for our community,” said Donna Skelly, MPP for Flamborough—Glanbrook. “This investment will provide a quality learning environment and new opportunities for the children of Binbrook.”
Ontario’s investment in new and updated schools will create the foundation for a modern learning environment for hundreds of students across the province. This investment will also generate nearly 900 new licensed child care spaces.
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. “Our financing of the new public elementary school – Binbrook #2 further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.”
Highlights of the new school construction include:
- 615 elementary student spaces.
“This is exciting news for the students and families at Bellmoore Elementary School and the wider Binbrook community, who have been advocating for a second elementary school. We thank the Ministry of Education for the investment in this capital project and for acknowledging the importance of a modern learning facility that will serve the community for generations to come. We also thank MPP Donna Skelly for advocating in support of students and families within Binbrook, who I know will all be excited to see the realization of this capital project,”
- Alex Johnstone, Chair & Area Trustee HWDSB
The new Unnamed Elementary School – Binbrook #2 will be located in Binbrook, Ontario.
- The Ford Government is protecting what matters most by working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance student learning.
- The Ford Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing over $12 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500M this year alone for new schools, additions and major renovations.
- This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of Liberal closures and maintenance backlog.
- Ontario is also providing school boards with a historic $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.