Ford Government Building New School in Stoney CreekPublished on July 24, 2020
Province Approves Construction of New Elementary School to Strengthen Student Learning and Increase Access to Child Care
The Ontario government recently announced it is investing over $500 million to build 30 new schools and make upgrades to 15 existing facilities.
The province has given the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board approval for a new St. James the Apostle Catholic Elementary School. The investment will provide a new, quality learning environment for the students of Upper Stoney Creek, as well as new child care rooms. This project is part of the province’s capital investment program that will support students with better learning spaces.
“The funding for this new school is great news for our community,” said Donna Skelly, MPP for Flamborough-Glanbrook. “This investment will provide a quality learning environment and new opportunities for the children of Upper Stoney Creek.”
Ontario’s investment in new and updated schools will create the foundation for a modern learning environment for hundreds of students across the province. This investment will also generate nearly 900 new licensed child care spaces.
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce. “Our financing of the new St. James the Apostle Catholic Elementary School further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.”
Highlights of the new school construction include:
- 590 elementary student spaces.
- 49 new licensed child care spaces.
- 3 new child care rooms.
“Our Board and most especially the St. James the Apostle Catholic Elementary School Community are very pleased with the announcement of the much needed new replacement school and child care centre. I would like to express our deep appreciation to MPP Donna Skelly for her support and assistance which was instrumental in bringing about this very good news.” said Patrick Daly, Chairperson, Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board.
The new St. James the Apostle Catholic Elementary School will be located in Upper Stoney Creek and will replace the existing school building.
- The Ford Government is protecting what matters most by working with school board partners to invest in capital projects that advance student learning.
- To create new opportunities for Ontario’s families, the government is investing up to $1 billion to create up to 30,000 new child care spaces in schools over the next five years.
- The Ford Government announced in Budget 2019 that over the next ten years, Ontario is investing over $12 billion in capital grants, including allocating over $500M this year alone for new schools, additions and major renovations.
- This massive investment will build new schools and help existing schools after a decade of closures and maintenance backlog.
- Ontario is also providing school boards with a historic $1.4 billion in funding to renew and maintain existing schools.
- This funding could be used to replace aging heating or air conditioning systems, repair roofs and windows, and install important accessibility features like elevators and ramps.