Ontario Making it Easier to Renew DocumentsPublished on July 21, 2021
Digital reminders will make it more convenient to renew licence plate stickers, driver’s licences and health cards
TORONTO — The Ontario government is making it easier to renew important documents by introducing the option for people to receive digital reminders – including email, text or voicemail – to renew their licence plate stickers, driver’s licences and health cards. The new service will allow Ontarians the option to receive digital reminders 30 and 60 days in advance of their renewal date.
“To serve Ontarians better, our government has introduced this fast and user-friendly option that will help Ontarians stay on top of the renewal dates for their driver’s licences, licence plate stickers and health cards,” said Ross Romano, Minister of Government and Consumer Services. “For the first time, most Ontarians can get reminders and renew their driver’s licences, licence plate stickers and health cards without any wasted paper or time spent waiting in line. For those Ontarians who must complete their transactions in person, ServiceOntario has introduced online appointment booking for many of its busiest locations to ensure people aren’t waiting unnecessarily in lines.”
Once they receive digital reminders, Ontarians can renew their documents through ServiceOntario.ca – where over 40 transaction services are available online, 24/7.
“Our government continues to ramp up delivery of in-demand digital services and drive online uptake of ServiceOntario’s highest performing transactions,” said Kaleed Rasheed, Associate Minister of Digital Government. “We have a plan to deliver seamless digital services and are committed to make it easier for people to interact with government online, from the comfort of home during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.”
Enhancing ServiceOntario’s online services is part of Ontario’s plan to improve the way people and businesses interact with government. Signing up for digital reminders is simple and fast at Ontario.ca/Reminders.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, expiry dates were extended on many products offered through ServiceOntario on March 18, 2020, including licence plate stickers, driver’s licences, health cards, and Ontario Photo Cards. As a result, the government has paused sending courtesy email and paper renewal reminders.
- The more than 40 services offered online by ServiceOntario are easy-to-use and deliver products right to your door.
- Digital Reminders is part of Ontario Onwards: Ontario’s COVID-19 Action Plan for a People-Focused Government, which includes more than 30 projects that are changing the way people and businesses interact with government.
- Eligible Ontarians Can Subscribe for Digital Renewal Reminders for Important Documents
- For more information on the Action Plan, please visit Ontario.ca/onwards.