Canada has different levels of government, each with explicit and implied authority. Federal, provincial, and municipal – they each have their own roles and responsibilities, and they generally cannot overrule another government's jurisdiction.

Sometimes there is overlap. For example, The City of Hamilton handles local roads, paving, street lights, buses, and so on. Ontario takes care of provincial highways (for example, Highway 403) while the federal government takes care of national highways (for example, the TransCanada Highway). Different levels of government may provide funding for different governments' projects, but the project remains a project of a specific level of government.

Here are a few examples:

Municipal – talk to your local City Councillor

  • Local transit (buses, taxis, etc)
  • Roads (paving, street signs, speed bumps, etc)
  • Property taxes
  • Garbage collection
  • Land use/zoning
  • Libraries
  • Parks

Federal – talk to your local Member of Parliament

  • National defence
  • Security
  • Foreign affairs
  • Canada Post
  • Employment insurance
  • Oceans
  • Infrastructure
  • Commissioner of Oaths

As a Member of Provincial Parliament, I can help you with items within Ontario's jurisdiction. These are just a few examples:


  • OSAP (Student loans)
  • Hospitals and long-term care
  • Schools (primary, secondary, and post-secondary)
  • Birth, marriage, and death certificates and licences
  • Prisons
  • Regulated professions (teachers, doctors, realtors, veterinarians, accountants, engineers, pharmacists, lawyers, etc)
  • Social assistance
  • Highways
  • Driver's licences and health cards
  • Commissioner of Oaths

Have a question I can help with? Please give our office a shout at (905) 679-3770 or email us at [email protected]